Our Autumn 1 Journey
Autumn 1 Curriculum Overview
3/4W have settled in really well and are embracing the new challenges of the year!
During English this half-term we will be look at 'The Egyptian Cinderella' By Shirley Climo. We will be immersing ourselves in the text through reading and drama activities and we will be putting ourselves into the shoes of the characters in our story. We will be tasked with writing a diary entry by imitating the character, as well as writing our own Cinderella style story.
In Topic this half term, we will be looking at the Ancient Egyptians. We started off our topic with a hook lesson, due to a letter we received from a mysterious person who had lived during ancient Egyptian times . They wanted to share some aspects of their life with us. In the letter, they asked us to complete five different activities which would give us some clues as to who they were. Our activities included:
- Becoming archaeologists and digging in sand for Egyptian artefacts.
- Using our art skills to create some Egyptian ‘cone people’
- Exploring our role play and reading area – we learnt some interesting facts about the ancient Egyptians!
- Creating mummies using toilet paper – we remembered to wrap the legs separately and discussed what happened to the bodies when they were mummified.
- Finally, we tried some foods that would have been eaten in ancient Egyptian times, including: honey, pitta bread, humus, peas, figs, dates and plums.